Home Forums TV Series Discussion Specific Episode Discussion The Ultimate Smokehouse

This topic contains 16 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Beaton Heights Landscaping 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Beaton Heights Landscaping
    Participant
    • City:

Hi boys – I wanted to say what a great program you have. I watched for the first time on the weekend. After, I had to look it up right away and ended up here. My wife might not like it but it is inspiring me to build a smoker for my backyard. The wife would never let me build the Ultimate Smokehouse but you can do a lot with a cheap bbq and a big pot. If I can find a picture I will post it here.

Participant
    • City:

Participant
    • City:

Participant
    • City:

Here’s a picture of what I want to construct. All the plans for building are from the USA so finding the exact same parts are the challenge. The first question is where I can find this steamer pot in Canada? Its called a Vasconia 32-Quart Aluminum Steamer with Lid and you can get it on Amazon in the USA.

ruuman
    Participant
    • City:

I think its a steaming pot for tameles….at least thats waht they use it for down in the States and Mexico. Not a bad excuse to fly down to Cancun eh? ๐Ÿ˜›

Locally I would try a Mexican or Latin America general store. Are you in TO — there are few in Kensington Market that will probably have what your looking for.

Participant
    • City:

TO?

ruuman
    Participant
    • City:

Sorry…..Toronto

Participant
    • City:

TO=TOronto– of course!!! Thanks

Participant
    • City:

I did find some tamale steamer pots locally. The store mainly carried Imusa brand though the 32 quart pot was branded “Mi Pueblo”. I wasn’t sure if the Mi Pueblo pots were the same as Imusa and the store manager couldn’t tell me. I decided to pass until I could come back with my Weber. They were $60 which wasn’t a bad price but from I’ve been reading, many other mini Weber smoker builders have suggested that the Imusa pots sometimes have fit issues.

But better news was that I finally ordered the Vasconia pot I was looking for today. So if you guys are in the same boat, this is where you go:

http://www.pfaltzgraff.com/32-quart-steamer/5031546.html

Regular price is $50, its on sale now for $30 plus you can get a 30% discount as a first time buyer. Shipping to Canada is $23 including all taxes and duties. Final cost including shipping is $44 which is less that the $56 that Amazon USA is charging. Canadian buyers can’t order through the site but you can phone in your order to 1-800-999-2811

Participant
    • City:

I wanted to give everybody an update on my Ultimate Smokehouse. The Vasconia pot arrived last week from teh USA. Here is what it should looks like if anybody is also building one of these.

photo IMG_7933_zps89f9aa5d.jpg

And just in case you can’t find this Vasconia pot here is the measurements you are looking for in a pot. It is just over 13,5 to 13,75 inches acrsoss on the bottom including the rounded part.

photo IMG_7934_zps3ff4c8ca.jpg
     photo IMG_7935_zpsc050e823.jpg

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Avatar BrojectsHQ.
    Participant
    • City:

I forgot to show this last time. Its the measurement of the top which is about 14.5 inches. Both the bottom and top are perfect fits for the Weber Smokey Joe Gold or Silver.
     photo IMG_7936_zps6f276eb8.jpg

Most of the instructions that I have found online instruct you to cut out the bottom of the pot about an inch from the curve. This is because you may want the additional space where the bottom used to be to pile on more charcoal. The smoke and heat will travel through the hole of course.

I’ve also read that just drilling holes can also work and has the added benefit of whats left acting as a heat de-fuser. We are going to use a teracotta dish or aluminium pie pan to catch drippings and for water, which will also act as an addtional de-fuser. With the bottom fully cut out you have to use a rack resting on the original pot’s steamer indent but the bottom still intact, I can sit it on the bottom and used the indent for a bottom food rack. The disadvantage I’ve heard that with the hole method your temps may not get as high as with the whole bottom cut out. Of course, if this doesn’t work I can still go back to cutting out the whole bottom!

I didn’t have a special “step drill bit” as some of the online instructions suggest but the aluminium of the Vasconia pot is thin enough that my forsner bits just ate right through without any problem.

photo IMG_7937_zps490ab5b4.jpg

photo IMG_7938_zpsee678c38.jpg

After shooting the pictures I decided that I needed more holes so I added another 12 around the edge and another 3 in the middle.

Participant
    • City:

We’re back from Brazil after some fun, sun & soccer and finally got to finish the smoker yesterday. Here the completed pictures.

Outside:

Inside:

For the extra grates, I bought a cheapy charcoal Weber knockoff that was the same size at Walmart for $10 which was easier and less than the cost of ordering a new grate from Weber. It can be a backup up ‘Q for camping grilling or just a place to dump ashes or leftover coals at the end of a session. I also picked up a terra cotta pot bottom from the garden section to act as the water pan/heat defuser. It sits on the bottom of the tamele pot.

Lastly I grabbed the thermometer off an old BBQ and stuck it on the front, just below the bolt that holds up the middle rack.

ruuman
    Participant
    • City:

Nice job! And welcome home! What’s the doodad on the side – some kind of gas hookup?

Participant
    • City:

That’s a 3/4″ ball valve. You see it a lot in Ugly Drum Smoker (UDS) builds where you take an empty oil drum and convert to a smoker. Its a way of regulating air flow to the charcoal chamber which affects the amount of heat.

Attached to that is a PartyQ by BBQ Guru which a digital controlled fire stoker. You attach the blower with their 3/4″ ball valve adapter and you set the desired BBQ temperature on the part on top. Not pictured is a thermometer that you hooked onto your grate that hooks into the device. It stokes the fire by blowing more oxygen on to it until the thermo reaches the set temp. It wasn’t cheap…..I think it cost more than the entire build combined but trust me it makes a world of difference.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/PartyQ/index.html

ruuman
    Participant
    • City:

Nice! Well now I want to hear about all the wonderful things your smoking ๐Ÿ˜†

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Avatar ruuman.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.