Home Forums Technical Discussions Tool Talk Old crusty duct tape removal?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Rhaegal Rhaegal 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rhaegal Rhaegal
    Participant
    • City:

Looking for a recommendation for how to removed dried on duct tape residue. Picked up a cool old hacksaw display stand today that was hidden behind layers of duct tape. Removed all the duct tape to reveal beautiful old fashioned painted metal but also lots of of old dried crusty tape.

muskoka
    Participant
    • City:

MAybe try Goo Gone? I usually go at crusty tape residue with the back of a knife, but I wouldn’t want to damage that sign.

Rhaegal Rhaegal
    Participant
    • City:

Thanks! Was thinking methel hydrate cause thats usually my solvant of choice but i was worried it might take off the paint too.

muskoka
    Participant
    • City:

Oh yeah Methyl Hydrate will take that paint right off. We use that to clean up leftover paint at work.

chisoc41
    Participant
    • City:

Those look like some pretty old hacksaw blades.

Rhaegal Rhaegal
    Participant
    • City:

THe GooGone worked like a charm!!!! Process: I soak the cruddy tape in a big puddle of GooGone. Walked away for 20 minutes. Come back with a scrubby sponge, palmolive and water and lightly scrub. Stubborn bits i was able to pick off with my fingernail or with a wood popsicle stick. I did a light first pass followed by another through GooGone soak.

End result:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.