This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NicolasKossak 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    NicolasKossak
    Participant
    • City:

My next door neighbour is taking down the oak tree in his front yard this weekend. He figures it to be 80 years old+ and about 2 feet to 2.5 feet wide. It got hit hard in this winters icestorm so down it goes I guess. The good news is he says I’m free to take what I need and was thinking of doing some oak live edge tables. I’ve never done anything like this but this seems like a pretty bright crowd…right?

"Failure is success if we learn from it." Malcolm Forbes

OuidaConrad
    Participant
    • City:

Do you have access to a kiln? If not it might be a WHILE before you’ll be using it as a table. The reason for this is because will need to properly dry out the wood before using it. You could layout the slabs in your backyard or garage but you won’t achieve the level of dryness of the lumber at HD, Loews, etc. A moisture meter for wood will help. Are you aware of drying defects too? The sapwood and heartwood will shrink at different rates which may result in surface checking and cracking.

OuidaConrad
    Participant
    • City:

By a WHILE we are talking months or years. THe reason for this is becuase the wood needs to dry out to somewhere below 20% to prevent bugs, fungus, decay, all that nasty stuff

NicolasKossak
    Participant
    • City:

A WHILE is purrrfeect… so many other projects that I have to tackle anyways 😉 I went for it BTW. I picked up a gallon of this stuff too:
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20099&cat=1,41131
    It supposed to prevent checking by promoting even drying.

"Failure is success if we learn from it." Malcolm Forbes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.